Wednesday 15 June 2011

Good bye Bath, Hello Pompey and Strattford Apon Avon

I neglected my blogging duties yesterday, but we were so busy sunning ourselves (Helen, Lucy, Rebbecca and I ), eating, drinking tea and exploring.  It was the first time on my trip that I did not even turn on my computer.  Helen picked me up in Bath, me and my 50lbs or so of luggage (seriously).  I think the poor guy who carried my suitcase down for me gave himself a hernia. 

We headed off to Portsmouth, and stopped along the way to see Stonehenge.  We had a bite to eat in a field with sheep across the road, and I dogged over and took a few pictures of Stonehenge by holding my camera over the fence.  It's smaller than I somehow imagined, but no less spectacular.  We made it to the Bed and Breakfast in time to meet with Lucy and Rebbecca.  We had a stroll down the pier, it was a beautiful day, the air ripe with the smell of the sea.  I kept thinking of Grandpa, and all the walks we took in Powell River.  He loved the sea.  We also had ice cream ( Grandpa would have loved that) and sat on the little wall along the beach.  Of course I pocketed some very beautiful rocks, and had to discipline myself because I could have picked up the whole beach.  Lots of flint, and unusual rocks with holes in them. Later we went for dinner near the Spinnaker (sp?) and had a great meal, and of course some pudding.

In the morning after we checked out of the B&B (great place, good breakfast) we went to the Maritime Museum to see all of the Royal Marine displays.  It was amazing.  I ended up buying a pair of Royal Marine socks, and a fridge magnet.  Trying to keep it light and cheap :)  We said goodbye to Lucy and Rebecca, and headed on to Strattford Apon Avon.  The motorways are so crazy here, so many lanes, and big lorries (sp?) taking up the road.  I had a bit of a snooze while Helen was driving.  We had a sat nav, and although it helped us get out of Portsmouth, it kept telling us to turn left and leave the motorway.  It was good that by that time, Helen knew where we were. We took Aunty Ena out for a pub dinner, it was so great to see her again.  It had been at least 9 years since I last saw her with Uncle Jack, when they came to Canada last.  It's wonderful that she is still mainly independent at 90 years of age.  I could not get over her mannerisms and how much she looked like Grandpa.  I even told her that she and Grandpa looked a lot alike, but that she was prettier :)  She quite liked that.  Helen's home is so beautiful, it was so nice to meet the rest of her lovely family as well, including their dog.  Tomorrow we head off to Warwick Castle, and then we see the "Scottish" play (ie. MacBeth) tomorrow.  So looking forward to it.  Nighty night!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment